Friday, November 18, 2005

If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four

I saw John Cage (1912-1992) give a talk
in NYC in 1986. I don't remember much or anything of what he said, but I'll never
forget
the way he
said it.

I met John Cage at The Mattress Factory in 1991 at an after opening party in Barbara & Micheal's apartment(s).
I was terribly shy at the time and a bit in awe of meeting one of my heroes of the avant-garde. So, I sat beside him
in silence on the couch & we bothed seemed quite content to do just that.

When the artist Buzz Spector met John Cage at The Mattress Factory in 1991, he said, "Mr. Cage, it's an honor to meet you."
John Cage replied smiling, "No it's not. It's just something that happened."

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened by the old ones."
-John Cage


"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."
-John Cage

1 Comments:

Blogger David Pohl said...

i made a vist to the 67 expo site.
what a trip!

thanks, cookie.

11/23/2005 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home