Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ok, my computer's being crappy. It said that there was an error when I got invited to the blog and I'd need invited again, but apparently there was no error and I'm part of the blog. So here's my opinon. I'm all for the clotheslines infront of the puzzle idea. The puzzle is good, but I think that it needs to form something when it's all connected, like the outline of a person or a book or something. It would just make more sense if all the pieces came together to make something. That's just what puzzles do. As for public interaction, I don't think they should be able to mess with the clothes on the line, like cut them up or manipulate them. If it represents physical appearance, it doesn't make sense to change it. You don't go up to people on the street and say, "I don't like your shirt" and start cutting it up. Besides, if I bring in some of my clothes (some of which are already manipulated by me), I don't want people screwing with them. It's like respect my physical appearance (dont judge a book by it's cover) dont try to change me. I think that a good way for the public to interact would be the blank puzzle piece idea or have white t shirts available (instead of a box of old clothes) that they can manipulate and hang up. That way the project grows, but our work isn't messed with. Not finished yet, hold on. Having puzzle pieces around the museum is a bad idea in my opinion. The installation would be more effective it was all together in just the lobby. Why have pieces laying around randomly? If I were a viewer, I'd be confused and wouldn't like the fact that they aren't together. The same goes for clothes in the fire escape or stairwell. First of all, the weather would ruin the clothes. Why would they be out there anyway? How would that tie into the main idea of physical/inner image? Is that the main idea? Is it messages in communications and exploding the book? If so, theres communication involved in the clothes covering the puzzle. It could be a metaphor for a book: the cover is the clothes and the puzzle would be the text. That's why I think the puzzle needs to form something other than another puzzle piece. The zine would be part of the book/communication idea as well and if the pages correlate with the puzzle pieces and the zines are in pockets of the clothes, it would show how inner image/personality shows through in what we carry with us or read. Ok, theres my outlook on the whole project. No clothes manip. unless white t's, one place for the installation, and the puzzle should create a form. Sorry that was so long, but I had to do it lol. I just mean for the ideas we presented yesters to be reconsidered a little before we start.
-Jenna

2 Comments:

Blogger John Powers said...

blue orchid, I have nothing to do with A Dozen Roses. But I check on this blog because the process of creating art is very fascinating. Don't be sorry for writing long. Your points are very worthwhile, indeed extraordiarily insightful.

1/15/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger David Pohl said...

i like the idea that the puzzle should/could create a form(a person, for example). keep in mind that this form could be made
from any material. we discussed foam core + cutting
the puzzle pieces from that....but other
materials could be considered....clothing, books, found objects, etc.....
barbara luderowski suggested that the puzzle could
also be something other than the typical "shape" of a puzzle.
y'all might consider other ideas for
puzzle

1/19/2006 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home