Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Balloon Rethinking

I just read the environmental issue on the blog. I was really disappointed,
but I started to research. I think if we use the correct materials, we can
make this project earth-friendly without completely compromising the idea.
Here are the Industry Release Standards:

The American balloon industry has set firm standards for mass balloon
releases.

1. Releases must use only 100 percent latex balloons
2. All attachments must be biodegradable
3. All balloons must be self-tied
4. Balloons cannot be attached to each other

So if we use biodegradable latex, and a biodegradable rope material we can
do it. The site that you referenced,
http://www.balloonhq.com/BalloonCouncil/facts.html#releases, stated that
most of the concerns are misconceptions. There is a lot of good info, and I
will continue to research. E-mail me with your ideas.

One problem I came across is that Latex can be an allergic reactions, mild
to fatal. This is worth looking into, but 94% of the population will never
have a reaction.

Kevin

2 Comments:

Blogger David Pohl said...

One material to considerer is rafia, which the MF ED studio has in plentiful supply.

JB was going to try + look for 100%
cotton rag paper for puzzle prints.

2/15/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger David Pohl said...

Still, it would take a long time for this to decompose. And would be litter for a while.

I suggest perhaps the original notion of sending balloons, with roses attached.
But, let's consider all options.

2/15/2006 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home